July 21, 2010

Martin from Uppsala, Sweden


1) What is your name?
-"Martin."

2) How old are you?
-"43 years old."

3) What is your nationality?
-"Swedish."

4) Why did you come to Japan?
-"To practice with Takada Sensei and to take part in the enbu at Seto jinja."

5) When did you start iaidô and why?
-"I started in September 1984. I first met Sensei in May 1986.
All my friends at school got interested in Japanese culture, mainly budo. Most of them started with karatedo, some with aikido and some with zazen. Since I was a little boy I have been interested in swords, so I was very happy when I heard from a friend that there was also a iaido club in the same dojo where he did aikido. So I started iaido. Now, almost 26 years later, all my friends have long since stopped their budo practice, I’m the only one still practicing
."

6) Have you ever participated in iai demonstration in Japan? What was it like? How about in your own country?
-"Yes, this was the third time I participated in iai demonstration in Japan. I feel very honored to be able to participate and to see such great iaido (and other budo) performers. I have participated in many demonstrations in Sweden and other countries outside Japan."

7) Is there a difference between training in Japan and in Europe?

-"We don’t have Takada Sensei in Europe, other than in camps, once or twice a year. So we have to remember what Sensei has told and shown us and try to do as good as possible. When I teach I try to teach the same things and the same way as Sensei teaches me. That’s my aim even if I’m not always successful."

8) What do you think about Takada Gakudô Sensei's style related to iaidô and training?
-"It’s the best iaido I have ever seen, very powerful, but still flowing, and with lots of spirit/heart (kokoro)."

9) What kind of a teacher is Takada Gakudô Sensei?

-"Sensei is a great teacher. He has a lot of patience with students that haven’t yet practiced for long. At some camps I am still surprised seeing the kind of patience Sensei shows towards students. With older students Sensei expects more, but I think that it's good to set yourself a goal: try to fill Sensei’s expectations until next time you meet him. I’m very grateful for having met Sensei in 1986 and being able to practice with him since."

10) What would you like to say to someone who is thinking about starting iaidô?
-"If you can think of putting some effort into your practice, starting iaido can be the best thing you have ever done. You'll learn a lot of other things outside of iaido, like Japanese history and culture. And you'll also meet a lot of very nice people from other countries."

No comments: